Have you been dying to know what breeds make up your one-of-a-kind pup? Are you concerned about certain hereditary diseases your dog might develop one day? Use a dog breed DNA test kit to find out!
Best Dog DNA Kit
How much are dog DNA kits? What are the best dog DNA test? Where Can I find one? If these are questions you are asking then we can help! There are many kits out there but our favorite here so far at Making a Space is Wisdom Panel. Wisdom Panel can detect the breeds in your dog’s ancestry by using markers from over 200 different breeds of dogs. To ensure accuracy they follow the guidelines of the American Kennel Club (AKC) in its breed identification. Reports can be interpreted in the following way:
- A breed that represents approximately 50% of your dog’s DNA. You are likely to see the most physical and behavioral traits from this breed. Dogs with mixed-breed parents will not have a breed represented at this level.
- A breed that represents approximately 25% of your dog’s DNA. You may see some physical and behavioral traits from this breed. Dogs with a very mixed ancestry may not have a breed represented at this level.
- A breed that represents approximately 12.5% of your dog’s DNA. You are unlikely to see many traits from this breed unless they are dominant. When you understand your dog’s natural tendencies, you can tailor a training, exercise and nutrition program to his needs.
Want to Test Your Dog’s DNA?
Wisdom Panel states that they pride themselves on offering the most reliable and accurate genetic tests on the market. Also on their website they say they provide the highest level of accuracy possible for a cheek swab DNA test, but that their accuracy can vary depending on the quality of DNA collected by an owner from their dog. So be careful when swabbing and follow enclosed instructions!
What will I get when I send in my Dog’s DNA?
You will get something similar to what is above explaining the lineage of your dog and what breeds make up your one of a kind pup!
Is Testing my Dog’s DNA worth it?
- Outside of curiosity, I believe it is important to know breed related health problems and needs.
For Animal Adoption Agencies
- These tests may be worthwhile for shelters or adoption agencies to use so they can determine the breed and what home would best be suited for their animals.
Where can I get A Dog Breed DNA test kit?
You can find this dog breed kit on Amazon, at most pet stores and directly at WisdomPanel.com.
Are their any other kits I can try?
Yes! We also highly suggest the Embark dog DNA kit! Like the Wisdom Panel Kit above you can find this and many other dog DNA tests on Amazon. Make sure to read dog DNA test reviews and see which one is the best fit for your pup!