Are you looking for a quick and easy snack to make? Or maybe have some leftover Rice Krispie cereal to use up?
This simple recipe for chocolate rice crispy treats will be a quick way to make an easy dessert fast! You’ll only need three ingredients to make these chocolate rice treats and about 10 minutes, which is always a good thing when time is of the essence.
If you love sweet rice treats, then scroll on down to learn how to make these chocolaty rice krispie snacks with our easy-to-follow recipe.
Rice Krispie Chocolate Treat Ingredients
To make these treats, you will need just three simple ingredients, which are very similar to the traditional rice krispies recipe you are probably familiar with.
Ingredients for Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- Chocolate Rice Cereal
- Marshmallow Fluff 7.5 oz or 4.5 cups of mini marshmallows (I like to add a bit of extra marshmallows to mine if using mini ones, but it is up to you!)
- 4 Tablespoons salted Butter
You will also want to have a medium to large saucepan, mixing bowl, spatula, a 9-inch baking dish (or square baking pan) on hand as well as nonstick cooking spray.
I used Cocoa Krispies which is the chocolate version of the favorite Rice Krispies cereal. You could also use Cocoa Pebbles, Mom’s Best Chocolate Rice cereal too or any brand of crispy rice cereal if you wish. All of these are crisp rice cereals gluten-free too!
How to Make Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
Follow these easy steps to make tasty chocolate krispie treats. First, cut up the butter into slices, melt butter in sauce pan, mix in fluff (or miniature marshmallows) in pan until marshmallow mixture is melted, pour over bowl of cereal in mixing bowl, thoroughly mix and then spread cereal mixture into prepared pan. Sounds simple, right?
This krispie treat recipe is basic to follow, but the most important step to follow is to use cooking spray. You will need it to coat the mixing bowl, spatula(or spoon) and baking pan with. If you skip this step, you will have a sticky mess that will be hard to work with.
Now that you know the basics of how to make rice chocolate treats, scroll on down to find the easy recipe!
Happy Treat Making!
- 4 Tablespoons Butter (sliced)
- 5 Cups of Chocolate Rice Cereal
- 1 Jar of Marshmallow Fluff 7.5 oz (or 4.5 cups of mini marshmallows)
- Cooking Spray (to coat spatula, mixing bowl and baking pan)
- 9" x "9 Baking Pan
- Medium Sauce Pan
- 1. Using a medium saucepan, melt sliced butter on medium-low heat.
- 2. Once the butter is melted mix in the jar of fluff 7 ½ oz stirring until thoroughly mixed and melted.
- 3. Transfer and pour the mixture into a mixing bowl containing the 5 cups of cereal. Mix until cereal is well coated.
- 4. Press into 9" x 9" pan evenly
- 5. Let cool for 2 hours
- 6. Cover tightly until ready to cut and serve.
Thoroughly coat the mixing bowl, spatula and baking pain with cooking spray, so the treats do not stick.
Common Questions About Rice Cereal Treats
How Do I Store Rice Krispie Treats?
Store crispy treats in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap for up to 5 days for freshness at room temperature. Use parchment paper if needed between the layers of the rice krispie squares.
What is a good substitute for Marshmallows in rice Krispie treats?
Marshmallow Fluff can be used in place of Marshmallows in most recipes, such as classic rice krispies treats. See the chocolate rice krispies treats recipe above.
Are Rice Krispies Gluten-Free?
Yes. All rice cereal is gluten-free. Always check the package and/or cereal treat recipe to be sure.
How do I Make Double Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats?
To make an extreme chocolate flavor in your treats, you can use our chocolate rice treats recipe above, but also add in some semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bits with the cereal mixture. This will give your rice treats that right about of chocolate you are looking for.
What Are Other Ingredients I Can add to Rice Krispies Treats?
To add flavor to this crispy treats, you can mix in a variety of different ingredients for a fun twist
- Peanut butter
- Dark Chocolate
- Sprinkles (these can be any color to match a party theme)
- Drizzle caramel on top with sea salt